The Niagara Railway Museum's mandate is preserving and promoting the railway heritage of the Niagara region.
Our collection started out small in 1994, with an assortment of railroad paper work and photographs. In August 1996, the NRM acquired an ex-CP Rail track motorcar, followed by 2 baggage carts, one from the TH&B, and another from CPR. The museum collection now has 12 track motorcars, from the CNR, CP Rail, TH&B and the Chesapeake & Ohio, a small, hand operated crane from CP built by Pyke, and 4 lorries (used to carry tools and supplies behind the motorcars).
In September 1998, we acquired 3 models representing the various railway bridges of Niagara Falls.
In 2001, we added a single stone track grinder, manufactured by Nordberg Track Equipment in 1939, and originally owned by the CNR at Fort Erie. 2001 also saw the donation of 3 40 foot boxcars from CP Rail to the NRM. The cars had been designated as "Heritage" by CP. The cars were built in 1956 & 1960, and are in great shape. Our plan is to utilize one of the cars for a permanent railway display, located on track inside our building, where visitors will enter the car to view the display.
Other acquisitions followed, including railway track tools, various railway signs, lanterns, oilcans, and books on railways throughout the world. The NRM also acquired over 300 railway blueprints, of which approximately half are directly related to the Niagara Region. Along with the blueprints, we also have various operating manuals for locomotives, rule books, timetables, and maps from many different railways.
In April 2006, the NRM acquired the last remaining steam locomotive from the Hydro Electric Power Commission's Sir Adam Beck Generating Station. HEPC #46 will become the centerpiece of the museum after its full cosmetic restoration. The NRM also enlarged it's equipment roster in July 2007, by adding a Whiting 2TMA Trackmobile, and a Plymouth MDT 40ton diesel, the Plymouth being donated by Babcock & Wilcox in Cambridge.In March 2010, we moved into the former Canadian National Fort Erie diesel shop. Built in the early 1950's and closed in 1989, the shop building and surrounding property were sold to private interests. All exterior track had been removed at the time of sale. The NRM decided to pursue the Fort Erie location after looking at many possible museum sites throughout Niagara, and were successful in obtaining a lease on the property. With its obvious ties to railway history, and its close proximity to a currently operating railway, the building and the property have turned out to be the perfect location to establish a museum.
While 20 years of vandalism and exposure to the elements have taken their toll, the building is still in excellent structural shape with a good roof. Museum members have built a significant amount of exterior track, replacing what was once there. Many hours have been spent cleaning up, securing and organizing the building. All of our equipment is slowly being moved to the site as funds permit.
In September 2012, we acquired a former CNR snow flanger which had once been used as tourist information booth in Welland,ON.
The Niagara Railway Museum is a charitable organization under the CRA, and therefore, can issue charitable tax receipts.
We are always looking for railway artifacts to display at our shows throughout the year. As well, we are searching for ANY photos of the railways in the Niagara Region, up to the mid/late 1980's. If you can help, please contact us.
The NRM has set aside a special page to thank all those who have helped us so far. It can be viewed with this link
If you wish to make a financial contribution to our museum, please use the following link (through the CanadaHelps website):